Position Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to: Board of Directors
United Way of Southeastern Idaho (UWSEI) is a high-performing convener of diverse segments of the community around solutions to the challenges our region faces. We leverage talents and relationships of supporters to accomplish transformational population-level change. United Way’s mission is to promote thriving communities in Southeastern Idaho with strong economies, families, and social ties—improving lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities. We deliver on that mission every day through investments in thirty-one local programs that impact more than 80,000 people a year and through our Cradle to Career partnership, ImPACT East Idaho.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leader of the organization, establishing a vision for Community Impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff and volunteers.
- Chief Mobilizer; leverages the power of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve conditions in the community.
- Possesses a high level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization.
- Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good – creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies for broad investment and impact.
- Steward of brand and understands the role in growing and protecting the reputation of United Way.
- Building trust in United Way and its relevance in the community.
- Values networking and strives to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships and strategy.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNTIONS
The major responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
The CEO is responsible for the overall impact of United Way of Southeastern Idaho on the community, with particular emphasis on increasing its capacity to drive the impact agenda. The CEO works closely with the Board to craft and adapt the strategy to achieve this increased impact, including raising the funds to support it. This position will establish and build relationship with top leaders in the community, including those representing the highest levels in business, government and non-profit sectors.
The CEO is charged to drive key results in fundraising; to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors and key leaders of prospective new corporate partners; to leverage personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization, both at the staff and board level.
The CEO serves as the principle resource to the Board of Directors and its key committees and gives strong direction in policy formulation and interpretation. The CEO partners with the Board of Directors and the United Way of Southeastern Idaho team to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved. Ensures coordination and alignment of all United Way activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment.
The CEO is accountable for building and leading high-performing teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve organization results. Maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. The CEO assesses organizational capacity to implement strategies and identify gaps in systems and staffing; directly supervises Senior Leadership positions and establishes individual goals; manages organization spending, monitor’s budget compliance, and mitigates financial risks; and ensures that United Way of Southeastern Idaho goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience working in a non-profit sector (United Way experience is desirable).
- Minimum of 2+ years Non-Profit Leadership experience.
- Expertise on issues relevant to the organization.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity and an ability to build collaboration with the community at large.
- Experience in or across multiple sectors, including nonprofit, public and corporate environments.
- Experience in developing partnerships, building teams and conflict management.
- Experience in building revenue and increasing philanthropic support.
- Must demonstrate a high level of intelligence and intellectual curiosity and a desire to explore new ideas and innovative approaches to solving problems.
Holds unquestioned integrity; a long term perspective; a strong sense of accountability; a practical ability to get things done; wisdom and good judgement; a fair and thoughtful approach to management, combined with the flexibility and courage to shift direction and experiment with new initiatives; excellent verbal and written communication skills; a high energy level and sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field/discipline
- Advanced degree is desirable
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create a real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands the role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
Benefits of United Way of Southeastern Idaho
- Competitive compensation package
- Competitive Benefits package that includes the following:
- Health insurance
- Life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Disability insurance
- Paid sick leave accruing at the rate of one day per month
- Paid vacation
- Ten days of paid holiday leave per year
- Three days paid bereavement leave
- Employee contributions to United Way’s Simplified Employee Pension Plan
- Professional development commensurate to the position
- Relocation assistance available
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. United Way of Southeastern Idaho is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or veteran status.
Set against a Rocky Mountain backdrop in eastern Idaho, the Bannock County seat of Pocatello beckons newcomers with its beautiful views, outdoor adventure and rich educational opportunities. Pocatello is known for being the gateway to the west. Pocatello is just minutes from numerous hiking & biking trails and is only two hours from Yellowstone National Park.